By Kate Cregan
- Chris Shilling, collage of Kent
Over the final two decades, the social sciences have witnessed a amazing inter-disciplinary surge of curiosity within the physique. The latter is now famous as a middle notion and is the topic of extensive research at undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. yet how will we map this paintings? What are the contributions and transformations of some of the methods? This lucid and authoritative text:
- Provides a serious evaluate of the paintings of Elias, Aries, Foucault, Bourdieu, Mary Douglas, Kristeva, Butler, Haraway and Bordo.
- Guides the reader throughout the inter-disciplinary impression of those ideas.
- Gives a transparent and compelling research of the importance of the 'turn' in the direction of the body.
- Explains the complicated method within which embodiment is shaped throughout diversified social formations.
Clearly geared up and powerfully expressed the publication presents the easiest to be had consultant to the 'turn to the physique' within the social sciences.
Read or Download The Sociology of the Body: Mapping the Abstraction of Embodiment PDF
Similar sociology books
Whilst sociology emerged as a self-discipline within the overdue 19th century, the matter of crowds constituted one in every of its key matters. It was once argued that crowds shook the rules of society and led participants into every type of irrational behaviour. but crowds weren't simply anything to be fought on the street, in addition they shaped a battleground over how sociology might be demarcated from similar disciplines, such a lot significantly psychology.
Slave rebellions were studied in enormous aspect, yet this quantity examines different styles of slave resistance, focusing on runaway slaves and the groups a few of them shaped. those essays express us who the runaways have been, recommend while and the place they went, and who harboured them.
Indian diaspora has had a fancy and multifaceted position in catalyzing, justifying and selling a remodeled city panorama in India. Focussing on Kolkata/ Calcutta, this ebook analyses the altering landscapes during the last 20 years of 1 of the world’s such a lot attention-grabbing and iconic towns. formerly higher recognized as a result of its post-Independence decline into overcrowded poverty, pollutants and depression, lately it has event a revitalization that echoes India’s renaissance as a complete within the new millennium.
Gender for the conflict country is the 1st scholarly research into the written works of U. S. ladies wrestle veterans in twenty-first century wars. latest reports quantify army participation, displaying what percentage girls perform armed providers and what their reviews are in a historically “male establishment.
- The Family in the USSR: Volume 3 (International Library of Sociology)
- Jean Baudrillard: Fatal Theories (International Library of Sociology)
- Stevenage: A Sociological Study of a New Town: Volume 18 (International Library of Sociology)
- Social Change and the Coming of Post-consumer Society: Theoretical Advances and Policy Implications (Routledge-SCORAI Studies in Sustainable Consumption)
- The Sociology of Knowledge: An Essay in Aid of a Deeper Understanding of the History of Ideas: Volume 17 (International Library of Sociology)
Additional info for The Sociology of the Body: Mapping the Abstraction of Embodiment
The Sociology of the Body: Mapping the Abstraction of Embodiment by Kate Cregan