By Werner Eck
- A concise and gripping account of Augustus and his age.
- Written by way of one of many world's best specialists at the Roman Empire.
- Examines the transformation of Rome from a republic to a monarchy.
- Covers household and international coverage, constitutional advancements, and cultural achievements.
- Compares Augustus' personal account of his existence to different historic narratives and archaeological documents.
- Includes a brand new translation of Augustus' Res Gestae with a quick advent and a considerable bibliography to assist additional study.
Read or Download The Age of Augustus (Blackwell Ancient Lives) PDF
Similar ancient history books
This ebook examines the position of social networks within the formation of identification between sophists, philosophers and Christians within the early Roman Empire. club in every one type was once confirmed and evaluated socially in addition to discursively. From clashes over admission to school rooms and communion to building of the group's heritage, integration into the social textile of the neighborhood served as either an index of id and a medium by which contests over prestige and authority have been carried out.
"There isn't any crime if you have Christ," claimed a fifth-century zealot, smartly expressing the assumption of spiritual extremists that righteous zeal for God trumps worldly legislations. This e-book presents an in-depth and penetrating examine spiritual violence and the attitudes that drove it within the Christian Roman Empire of the fourth and 5th centuries, a special interval formed through the wedding of Christian ideology and Roman imperial energy.
Was once erwartet Caesar, nachdem ganz Gallien besiegt ist? Wie geht Kaiser Nero nach der großen Feuerkatastrophe von Rom im Jahr sixty four mit den schweren Vorwürfen um, er selbst habe den model legen lassen? used to be verrät Tryphon, Buchhändler und Verleger, über Starautoren, Startauflagen und die beste Buchwerbung?
Offers conclusive facts that historic Egypt used to be initially the remnant of an previous, hugely refined civilization• helps past speculations in response to fantasy and esoteric resources with clinical facts from the fields of genetics, engineering, and geology• offers extra facts of the relationship among the Mayans and historic Egyptians• hyperlinks the secret of Cro-Magnon guy to the increase and fall of this historic civilizationIn the overdue 19th century, French explorer Augustus Le Plongeon, after years of analysis in Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, concluded that the Mayan and Egyptian civilizations have been related--as remnants of a as soon as higher and hugely subtle tradition.
- A Handbook to the Reception of Thucydides (HCRZ - Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception)
- Other Greeks: The Family Farm and the Agrarian Roots of Western
- From Anti-Judaism to Anti-Semitism: Ancient and Medieval Christian Constructions of Jewish History
- The Roman Cavalry
Extra resources for The Age of Augustus (Blackwell Ancient Lives)
The Age of Augustus (Blackwell Ancient Lives) by Werner Eck