By Noah Coburn,Anna Larson
This quantity indicates how Afghani elections on account that 2004 have threatened to derail the country's fledgling democracy. interpreting presidential, parliamentary, and provincial council elections and accomplishing interviews with a couple of hundred applicants, officers, neighborhood leaders, and electorate, the textual content exhibits how overseas methods to Afghani elections have misunderstood the position of neighborhood actors, who've hijacked elections of their desire, alienated groups, undermined consultant strategies, and fueled insurgency, fostering a deadly disillusionment between Afghan voters.
Read or Download Derailing Democracy in Afghanistan: Elections in an Unstable Political Landscape PDF
Similar middle eastern history books
As a small kingdom in a adverse sector, Israel has made protection a most sensible precedence. Tzalel takes a serious examine the naval department of Israel's safety forces to contemplate its background, its functionality, and its total value to conserving nationwide defense. From a motley selection of unlawful immigrant ships operated sooner than the delivery of the nation, the Israelis have because the Sixties validated a contemporary military.
The function of torture in contemporary Iranian politics is the topic of Ervand Abrahamian's vital and traumatic ebook. even supposing Iran formally banned torture within the early 20th century, Abrahamian offers documentation of its use less than the Shahs and of the frequent usage of torture and public confession below the Islamic Republican governments.
This can be the second one up-to-date variation of the 1st finished historical past of Lebanon within the smooth interval. Written by means of a number one Lebanese pupil, and in response to formerly inaccessible data, it's a interesting and beautifully-written account of 1 of the world's so much fabled nations. beginning with the formation of Ottoman Lebanon within the sixteenth century, Traboulsi covers the expansion of Beirut as a capital for exchange and tradition during the nineteenth century.
The query of id is one among present-day Israel's cardinal and such a lot urgent concerns. In a accomplished exam of the id factor, this examine specializes in attitudes towards the Jewish humans in Israel and the Diaspora; the Holocaust and its repercussions on identification; attitudes towards the nation of Israel and Zionism; and attitudes towards Jewish faith.
- Building Special Operations Partnerships in Afghanistan and Beyond: Challenges and Best Practices from Afghanistan, Iraq, and Colombia ([Research report] ;)
- Turkish National Identity and Its Outsiders: Memories of State Violence in Dersim (Routledge Advances in Sociology)
- Defending the Holy Land: A Critical Analysis of Israel's Security and Foreign Policy
- Guns in the Desert: General Jean-Pierre Doguereau's Journal of Napoleon's Egyptian Expedition (Contributions in Military Studies)
- Tribeswomen of Iran: Weaving Memories among Qashqa’i Nomads (International Library of Iranian Studies)
- Pyramids and Fleshpots: The Egyptian, Senussi and Eastern Mediterranean Campaigns, 1914-16
Additional resources for Derailing Democracy in Afghanistan: Elections in an Unstable Political Landscape
Derailing Democracy in Afghanistan: Elections in an Unstable Political Landscape by Noah Coburn,Anna Larson